Re: [NTLK] Racism On The Board (Was "Any Idea Why")

From: David Golden (ikondave599_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 14:01:16 PST

Hi Ikem -

I got into a disagreement with fellow Newtoneers about the use of the
word " retard " some months ago. Frankly the degree of sanctioned
bigotry was quite discouraging. I have chalked it up to being an
indicator that most of the folks on this list are youngish, white men,
who haven't spent a great deal of time pondering issues related to
human rights.

If I had read Jared's letter, I assure you that I would have responded.
As a member of two minority groups with a Native American wife, I have
zero tolerance for Jared's kind of nasty mindlessness. Good for you for
your willingness to raise an objection to that garbage. It should have
never been posted.

Dave