Re: [NTLK] Racism On The Board (Was "Any Idea Why")

From: Judy Perry (jperryl_at_ecs.fullerton.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 15:56:58 PST

This is a facile treatment of the phenomenon. Of course white people (of
which I'm one) tend not to be hypersensitive of being called "white": when
was the last time a white person had a cross burned on his or her own
lawn? Or had to watch a campus fraternity "joke" of leading pledges
around campus with nooses around their necks? Making them do humiliating
things? When was the last time a white person who was born in the US
was threatened with deportation (I've seen this with Mexican-Americans
born here)? Or had a major sportscaster refer to a black man as 'a little
monkey' or some such thing?

I'm 40, and unless Jared is WAAAYY younger than I, he had to have known or
at least suspected that the statement could or likely would have been
offensive.

Judy