Re: [NTLK] No Input / Jaggies / Erratic pen behaviour

From: kareljansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 05:22:26 PST

Op vrijdag 26 maart 2004 00:43, schreef Marco Mailand:
> "Christopher J. Lowe" wrote @ 25.3.2004 13:10 Uhr /
>
> <christopherjlowe_at_optusnet.com.au>:
> > spending megabucks
>
> I had the opportunity to find out the mechanism of the jaggies. They are
> caused by continuous pressure onto the digitizer, caused by e.g. Salt
> crystals or the case itself. This declares why some machines get it and
> some not: The case distortion differs and is probably dependant on how
> people use their Newtons. Hot or rather cold conditions, with or without a
> lot exposure to sunlight, etc. pp. Whatever condition you might have the
> best bet to get rid of the jaggies is by scraping away a bit of the upper
> case lib and thus increase the gap between screen and case.

I found the same thing, through a slight detour: my Psion 5mx had a very bad
case of the jaggies, and people in the newsgroups claimed it was normal.
However, due to my previous Newton experience I have a tendency to let my
hand rest on the screen while writing/drawing. The Psion, unlike the Newton,
has no "palm-resistence" whatsoever and simply drawing without touching the
screen made the jaggies go away completely.

It draws dreadfully that way though.

In one of my MP2100s I cured a beginning case of jaggies completely by
removing the washer from the SER001 board (and in the process making the back
of the Newt bulge-free).

I'm inclined to think that 90+% of the jaggies are stress-related; it's just a
matter of finding the source of the stress.

Karel Jansens