[NTLK] [OT] Tracing Genes. Travelling Genes. (was Re: [OT] Etymology of Mathematics. Can't let that slide.)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 04:41:29 PST

>Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:17:51 -0600
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] [OT] Etymology of Mathematics. Can't let that slide.
>From: Woody Smith <woody_at_bitstream.net>
>
>I just finished The Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey by Spencer Wells.
> He traces mutations in the Y chromosome trace modern humans from their
>African origins to their current locations.
>A worthwhile read if you have an interest in anthropology

Somebody supposedly did that with the First Family and found Bush to be a
distant cousin to Kerry. Anybody know if that's a hoax or what?

DJV.

P.S.:

> Last night on Nova there was a piece called The Mummies of China that
> examined an ancient race of people who settled in what is now western
> Mongolia/ China. They were clearly caucasian, and may have been from
> the area of modern day Bulgaria. This greatly alters the generally held
> belief that ancient people migrated from east to west. This is all part
> of the history of Central Asia. They were situated on the famous Silk
> Route. Very fascinating stuff about the interaction of ancient

There's supposedly been even groups on very early Christians (which has
nothing to do with the Jesuits believing Chinese to be the lost tribe of
Juda for a while because of their high ethical standards that reminded them
of the New Testament) in that area - enbd of the silk road, Dunhuang, etc..
Some of their anti-hierarchical, anti-authoritarian beliefs have (again
supposedly) survived into the secret societies who have led many rebellions
over the ages and otherwise functioned as poor man's welfare unions
(Taiping and boxer upridings, triades, etc.). - After Muslims started
persecuting non-muslims, Parsee communities (Zoroastrians) also found a
refuge there (and in India).