Re: [NTLK] How does it work? (was Re: Newton Print Pack)

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 11:42:37 PST

On Mar 26, 2004, at 1:28 PM, Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes wrote:

>> On Mar 26, 2004, at 10:35 AM, Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes wrote:
>>>
>>> That's a "standard" convertion of serial to parallel.
>>>
>> I agree with Victor. There is no "Standard" serial to parallel
>> conversion.
>>

> I disagree.

I would have to disagree with this you as well (take the stance that it
can't just be a simple serial to parralel conversion as you describe)

Sure one can translate the data directly accross - but it won't MEAN
anything on the other end, the way you described it any handshaking,
error correction, etc. would be passed along as is. Does the printer
expect big endian or little endian binary data? (first bit is the most
significant? or the other way round?) What about printer specific
commands - or communication from the printer to the computer it think's
it is attached to? Would a parallel printer expect data to be presented
in the same manner as serial? Likely not.

---