[NTLK] Help - gruendelized(tm) MP 130 doesn't turn on...

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 05:20:20 PST

My MP 130 (NOS 2.0, latest patch installed) doesn't turn on, or rather: it
doesn't *stay* on. It has been gruendelized(tm) following the info given on
Frank's website http://www.pda-soft.de/body_mp130fixes.html and served
reliably ever since. Until yesterday, that is.

Yesterday I was correcting errors in a book I did on my desktop, taking the
corrections off the Newton (thanks for XNewtBook!) and editing on the
desktop. Suddenly the Newton turned off and wouldn't turn on again. D'oh -
empty rechargeables, I thought. So I put it in the cradle, which showed the
cells to be charging. Tried to turn the Newton on, no go. Waited until the
batteries' chargelight showed green (hours later) - no go. Put the line of
the power supply straight into the Newt - no worky, either. Same for the
reboot button, or reboot + power switch.

This morning, I took the cells and the buffer batt out, removed my large
storage card, too, and let it sit for a few hours. When I turned it on
(using the power supply), the screen flicked on, then gone - with a
peculiar black stripe down the center of the display. Then without any
doing, the Newton tried by itself another six times (seven in total) to
turn on, but each time aborted after shortly flashing the screen and the
black stripe.

Any advice, kind words and consolation appreciated.

DJV.