Re: [NTLK] No Input / Jaggies / Erratic pen behaviour

From: Marco Mailand (Newton_at_spymac.com)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 15:02:38 PST

"Victor Rehorst" wrote @ 26.3.2004 3:14 Uhr / <victor_at_newtontalk.net>:
> The other cause is a worn out digitizer cable - specifically, where the cable
> connects to the Newton via a pressure fit.
Exactly. This one I found at some Swiss MP2kx as well and if I've to
dismount a Newton that far I always clean that digitizer cable contacts with
a fine glass fiber pen. I think that it is not only the pressure fit which
might have become a bit weak but the combination of the contact material.
The digitizer cable material is very likely Aluminum which is pressed onto
gold plated PCB contacts. Al tends anyway to very though oxidation and its
oxide is non-conductive :-(( The combination of noble (Au) and not noble
(Al) material with humidity and (small) current is very likely to increase
corrosion speed at the contacts itself and even if they are touching. Maybe
some grease could help as well but I personally prefer "dry" connections.

Marco