Re: [NTLK] OT Powerbook 180c

From: Len Cole (leonard.cole_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 20:31:08 PST

The original System Software was 7.1 with System Enabler 131 v 1.0.

Apple's support website has a page for old operating systems. The disk images for System Software 7.5.3 and update to 7.5.5 can be downloaded from here. You'll need a bunch of 1.44 floppies (more than 2 dozen).

The first disk image in the set is (should be) bootable and the installation starts from there. (Well, actually it starts from running HD-SC Setup and/or Disk First Aid, which is on the "Disk Tools" disk, part of the download.) IIRC, install the 7.5.5 update on a running System 7.5.3.

Alternatively, you can get a HDI-30 to DB-25 adapter) for the SCSI port and hook up a hard drive to it and install from there. There are also adapters which allow the PowerBook to be used as a peripheral (hard drive) on a Mac, and this is a third way to install. Shop around for these adapters if you choose to go this route. The prices I've seen vary widely, and there are several different types, from full-length cabeles to just the little adapter dongle.

I paid $20 (including shi[[ing) for a SCSI Dock (which allows the PB to be used as a hard drive on another Mac) from Headgap Used & Refurbished Macs (http://resale.headgap.com/). No affiliation with this company; they had the best price by far, and it included shipping. I've dealt with them a few times since with no comlaints.

Hope this helps.