Re: [NTLK] OT: new Indian pda- amida simputer

From: Alexander Schreiber (als_at_thangorodrim.de)
Date: Mon Mar 29 2004 - 11:50:09 PST

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 04:10:39PM -0300, Luiz Petroni wrote:
> It seems that you can scribe (over web pages inside a running browser /
> pictures / etc...)
> But.... did not find mention about any kind of HWR recognition :(
>
> Does not make sense to me why someone has the idea to put an
> "accelerometer" inside a PDA and
> don't give it even the minimum HWR recognition capability. Is it only a
> cost related issue?

Judging by the fuss they are making about the ability to add notes in
your own handwriting - no matter what the language - to anything, I
guess there is _no_ handwriting recognition _at_ _all_ in the machine.
All they probably do is storing the "writing" as compressed pixmaps,
or possibly as vectors to save space (but I doubt that). Admittedly,
developing a well working handwriting recognition that can deal with
several sets of glyphs is probably quite a bit harder than a HWR that
only deals with an extended latin glyph set (like the Newton HWR).

> On 29 Mar 2004, Sean Cross wrote:
>
> > Getting back on the Amida, from the website it seems as their Paper
> > program is just a drawing program like Newt Works, and doesn't actually
> > have any sort of HWR, and it uses a soft keyboard for input. Anyone
> > else get that from the page?

Regards,
      Alex.

 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison