Re: [NTLK] Newton programs wish list

From: Richard Plume (rplume_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 08:44:26 PST

on 3/30/2004 8:48 AM, Calvin Grier at cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Believe it or not, there aren't very many talented programmers out there
> doing Newton development. In fact the number of ACTIVE developers can be
> figured on two hands. Almost all of them are doing it for free - and even if
> they charged for their work, there's not enough users out there to make it
> profitable.

    I know, that's why I mentioned that both their numbers and their time
are limited. I'd buy their programs if they met my needs. For instance, I'd
buy Paul's ATA driver if there were a photo program I could use that met my
needs. At this point there is no such Tibet replacement program, therefore
Paul's ATA driver is of no use to me. I don't need to use CF cards in my
Newton, I have quite a number of 32, 20, 16, 8 and 4-meg linear cards.

> Given the fact that the Newton has JPEG and HTML support though the very
> nicely coded Newt's Cape utility, I'd suggest you take a much closer look at
> it and the features it offers - particularly when paired with SimpleMail and
> nHTML. Not only does it work well with JPEGS sitting in your inbox, but it
> handles tables and GIFs and BMP graphics embedded in web pages.
>
> Newt's Cape has a unique user interface, but once you understand how to use
> it you'll like it. In addition, it is very well behaved and doesn't
> "conflict" with anything else. It is one of the most stable packages on the
> Newton platform.

    It's that "unique" interface that I don't like. But, it's a moot point.
I could ditch NetHopper and move to Newtscape and that would solve some of
my problems but I still couldn't get photos off a digital camera. I'd then
have to carry a laptop for the cameras...

> --Calvin

Rick