Re: [NTLK] Wireless Cards Galore!

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Wed Mar 31 2004 - 15:04:52 PST

On Mar 31, 2004, at 2:57 PM, josh musket wrote:

> Calvin Grier wrote:
>
>> Does the WiFi network in-question need to support AppleTalk over IP?
>>

> I'd like to know this as well. My school (being the laptop uni) is
> coated with WiFi APs. All are Airport compatible. How does this affect
> my Newt? And why isn't there a simpler wireless connection util?

Wifi works well on the Newt. you don't need appletalk for wifi access,
although you might need it for wireless printing.

The only bugaboo I see is that you need to Manually enter the SSID or
network name, as there is no "server browser" function for this.

Also WEP can be an issue depending on your setup.

Another thing I have seen mentioned is that some commercial WIFI
providers want you to first sign in via an SSL webpage. This is
obviously a no go on Newt.

Marty