Re: [NTLK] OT Kilometers

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 11:49:48 PDT

>Jon Glass wrote:
>
>I only wanted to point out that there are some of us
>who like our imperial measurements and don't want to
>change!!!

I don't know if that is only the reason.

Take the Midwest part of the US. It is laid out like a checkerboard
where all roads are North-South and East-West at the 1 mile mark.

A 1x1 mile area equals 1 square mile or more commonly known as a Section.

A Section is 640 acres.

A half Section is 320 acres and a quarter Section is 160 acres.

So if I am a farmer and I farm a Section and a half, I farm 960 acres.

Simple.

Also, 6x6 miles, or 36 Sections is a township.

IMHO, 1.6km x 1.6km, or 2.56 square kilometers just doesn't cut it for
that part of the country -- and probably never will.

Sushi