Re: [NTLK] MOT Kilometers

From: David Neale (david.neale_at_pandora.be)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 02:43:59 PDT

The first computer, the ENIAC, actually used a decimal counting system.
I believe that Eckert's second machine was also a decimal machine. It
was only later that a binary system was adopted and sensibly employed.
This development in computing is a good lesson: use the most
appropriate system, rather than sticking to one that is perhaps more
traditional, but less suited to the task at hand.

Stick 8 bits (binary digits -- on/off electrical switch, if you wish)
in a row, split this byte into two halves and you'll see why hex is
used.

As for another comment made by someone on the weight of an egg: that's
the same in both imperial and metric. To paraphrase old Will, an egg by
any other name is still an egg.

David