Re: [NTLK] OT Kilometers

From: Anton Aylward (anton_at_the-wire.com)
Date: Sun May 02 2004 - 05:18:25 PDT

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 02:50, Robert Benschop wrote:
> As for people quoting poorly converted measuring systems (like in
> Toronto), that what they are, poorly converted systems...

Are you suggesting that we, here in Toronto, dig up our roads and relay
them so that they are a kilometer apart rather than however many rods it
is? I think we have enough municipal tax and budget and planning
worries without that.

As for 'thinking' in the two systems, I have no problems. Gasolene is
dispensed in liters and my odometer is in kilometers so I never have to
think in miles per gallon. (Mind you, this inverted litres per 100 km
that GovCan uses _is_ confusing.) That the trunk roads are 1+1/4 miles
apart doesn't faze me. They wiggle and curve a bit anyway, and aren't
on an absolute north-south grid anyway. Life has its imperfections, so
why sweat the small stuff.

--
Anton Aylward <anton_at_the-wire.com>