[NTLK] Completely Replacing Interconnect Port

From: Sean Cross (newton_at_9bit.net)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 10:26:46 PDT

With all the talk lately of adding headphone ports and port replicators
on the list lately, it got me thinking: does anyone really USE their
interconnect port?

I, personally, do not have a dongle. And while I'm sure there are
many, MANY people on the list who do, how many use it on a regular
basis? I seem to remember that the SER-001 was developed for both
convenience, to eliminate the need for the dongle, as well as
robustness, because the Interconnect port has a tendency to break
inward.

I realize there are many features of the interconnect port: two serial
ports, a line in, a line out, power, and perhaps a few more that I'm
forgetting.

What do different people use their interconnect port for? Is it mostly
just to attach a serial dongle?

Along the same lines, what would it take to attach an audio amplifier
circuit to the line out, in order to get an amplified stereo out?
(What would a schematic for such a circuit look like? I'm not an
EE...) What about possibly connecting a mic to line in? And does
anyone really need/want a second serial port?

Finally, what are the list's views on cramming these ports on the back,
where the Interconnect port / SER-001 port are?