[NTLK] wifi, eMates and WEP-Important discovery [was: wifi-works on 2100...]

From: Paul Vaughan (paulsvaughan_at_yahoo.com.au)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 05:25:01 PDT

I posted a while ago,(and thanks for the responses
guys) about not being able to connect using wifi on my
new eMate, even though it was set up exactly the same
as my 2100.

Well, I have now succeeded in connecting, and in the
process I think I have found something which could be
of interest to all eMate users who want use WEP.

When I originally set up the eMate, I typed in the
hexadecimal string using 'caps lock' as all the alpha
characters were caps. However, I got a message that
WEP can only use 1-9,A-F,a-f. I ignored this message
as my WEP string did indeed only use alpha-numerics in
that range, and the string LOOKED correct. I couldn't
connect!

It then occurred to me that perhaps the eMate sets a
strange character when numbers are typed with 'caps
lock' on. So, I positioned the caret at the end of the
string, used multiple deletes, and re-input using only
'shift' for caps. I couldn't connect!

Then I highlighted the whole WEP string, and started
"blank" to re-input the string, again using only
'shift' for the caps. I CONNECTED!

This seems to suggest that the eMate does something
odd when numbers are typed with 'caps lock' on, and
this isn't removed by simply using the 'delete' key.

Anyone have any idea what is happening here.

Paul