Re: [NTLK] [OT] I think SONY went nuts a while ago

From: Scot McSweeney-Roberts (newton_at_mcsweeney-roberts.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 10:41:51 PDT

Len Cole wrote:
>I see a lot of reference to not having to "string cabling" from the router to the computers hooked into it. This advertising is primarily geared toward home installation, but it also makes sense for offices which are in older buildings which aren't easily wired for computer and internet services.

I can fully understand WiFi in the home - most homes don't come with CAT
5 installed and it can be a pain to install, but it has to be very rare
to find an office, even in an old building, that doesn't have cabling
everywhere by now. And seeing as the marketing brochures were (remember,
this is a few years back when it was too expensive for most homes and
most if not all the marketing was for office use) full of bright, modern
offices, which seems safe to conclude would be properly cabled up, I
still don't understand what the point of WiFi in (most) offices was or
even still is.

I can see it being useful in places where people are going to be using
their laptops on battery power (such as meeting rooms) but as soon as
you need to plug in to the mains the benefits of wireless network start
to evaporate (assuming adequate network cabling).

Scot