Re: [NTLK] [OT] Newton, PocketPC & Palm

From: newton_at_the-monkey.net
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 16:25:36 PDT

> Yeah, the screen whine thing can get annoying. More so with the 2100
> than my 130. There are no hardware buttons, so flipping pages on the
> Newton can be a little difficult.

I was used to books on the Newton when I started with the Ipaq, so to
begin with I tapped the screen to change pages - until I got
sufficiently annoyed with it to try the buttons. The monstrous size of
the Newton reduced the comfortable reading positions as well.

> I agree with this. Switching back and forth is rather difficult at
> best, and downright impossible at worst. I'm glad the PocketPC has
more
> than one input choice (I use graffiti) but all of them don't
> add up to the Newton's HWR.

I get better recognition using transcribe on the Ipaq than using the HWR
on the Newton, and I can write anywhere on the screen. I think the HWR
itself is better, but it still isn't quite as fluid a part of the
interface as it should be (and as it is on the Newton).

Regards,
       Morgan

--
Morgan Nichol     -     morgan_at_quirk.co.nz
09 6200 548       -     021 159 0736