Re: [NTLK] What's in the Soup?

From: Anton Aylward (anton_at_the-wire.com)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 20:08:40 PDT

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 18:17, Richard G. DAVIS wrote:
> Anton has presented a detailed commentary on my earlier message that is
> certainly instructional.

;-)

> Two points:
>
> 1. [snip]
> Nonetheless, the general geneaology of the
> time span of interest to me in answering the question is still useful. (Do
> we want to visit the book of Genesis to discover the first order antecedents
> of the issue at hand?)

I only discussed items that I have had personal experience with and so
are within my own lifespan. I recognise I may be older than many others
here.

> 2. Of more importance, Anton has introduced comments, that while astute
> observations in their own right, are far from the issue I addressed. My
> comments are intended to be INDEPENDENT of underlying implementation issues.

The implementations I quoted were 'as examples'.
Its too easy just to assert "no you're wrong" and get into a p*ss**g
match. What I was trying to do was illustrate my point with tangible
examples rather than leave it as an abstract, and to show that "it has
been done before". I tried to keep them few.

The real story is that there is nothing new under the sun (that from
Ecclesiastes, not Genesis). many things are touted as 'new and
revolutionary' by the marketeers. "It ain't necessarily so".

--
Anton Aylward <anton_at_the-wire.com>