Re: [NTLK] [OT] Newton, PocketPC & Palm

From: NewtonMP - Paul Curtis (paul.curtis_at_newtonmp.com)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 23:47:39 PDT

I purchased my Siemens SX56 a year ago with PPC 2002 and just got the 2003
upgrade, and I can tell you that the title "Pocket PC" is totally
misleading. Web activity is horrible, unusable in fact. I think AT&T sells
these phones just to charge you for trying to use Internet Explorer. I
thought I was going to use this phone for one of my e-mail accounts, but as
stated earlier the screen size is too small to be of any effective use. I
have to say though that the hw recognition is pretty good, not as good as
the Message Pads by any stretch, but surprisingly good.

I've played around with palm devices and the only viable variety is the Sony
Clie series, and even then I wouldn't spend more than $40 for their best
one.

The Fujitsu Stylistic family, especially the 8.4" screen sized ones look
really interesting to me. I think it's a decent size and form factor for an
infield laptop replacement. Specifically I was intending to use this for
collecting real estate data for investment purposes. I just wish that they
would produce a modern version of the Stylistic LT
(http://jksalesinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=124&osCsid=6fac9
d905d3c6ac883306c486200631f ).

The OQO, if it is ever released, looks promising. I really like the concept
of one machine - go anywhere, vs. synching data between multiple units. I
hope they add a SD slot and upgrade the USB from 1.1 to 2.0. I could never
understand the keyboard concept on anything of this size, other than that
they have no other viable option for input, especially with fold away
keyboards.

The Newton is a true PDA in every sense; its utility is simplified
organization. Not to pigeon hole our green friend, as we all witness daily.
There are many applications of technology that it plays well in, but I think
the reason for that is its straight forward, no-nonsense intuitive soul.
Originally I used my 120 v2.0 to take all of my notes in college. Now, I
primarily use my 2100 #2 for writing my food reviews, MPG and shopList.
That's it, but those 3 items are the most joyful parts of my day.

Regards,

Paul Curtis
MP 120 v1.3/MP 120 v2.0/MP 130/MP 2100/MP 2100/MP 2100
www.NewtonMP.com (coming soon)
Go Green! Go White! Michigan State Spartans