Re: [NTLK] mail V

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri May 14 2004 - 11:23:41 PDT

On May 14, 2004, at 6:17 AM, Thomas Isenbarger wrote:

> i need some help with mail V (formerly, SimpleMail, right?). i am
> connecting via wireless on a 2100 with a 4 MB card.
>
> i am able to connect to at least one of my accounts some of the time.
> when i finally get to the "Synchronizing" screen it says
>
> Synchronizing
> X of Y messages
>
> where Y has been on the order of 900-1200. i have been trying to set
> the rules to either ignore or delete messages greater than 1 day old so
> that i only download new mail.
It doesn't know how old the mail is until it sync the headers (that is
where the dates are).

It's a good idea to create another folder/directory/mailbox and move
most of those message OUT of your Imap inbox if you intend to use the
newton to check you mail.

I created another account called History and keep all my older mail
there sorted into folder by year.
> the synchronization process has never
> made it all the way through the entire set of messaages. the progress
> bar chugs along, and then at some point the box goes away and the
> newton disconnects. sometimes i end up with messages in my box, but
> they are always old ones (from about May 3-May 6). if i check all of
> those (one at a time, sort of a pain) and then delete them all, on my
> next "successful" partial synchronization, the same old messages are in
> my inbox.
It must succeed in sync to get it's feet on the ground.
> <snip>do i need to have any ignore or delete rules for Mail V? wil it
> "know"
> which messages have been accessed and skip old ones, or will it have to
> go through ~1000 messages every time i sync? do i need to get through
> all ~1000 messages before it "knows" how to handle them all and which
> ones have been read, deleted, etc.?
The latter. That is why reducing your message count is probably
necessary.

> if i should use a delete or ignore rule, which is better? in these
> cases, does each sync have to go through all the messages to see which
> ones to download?

Don't really know. You can give us some info on that as you figure it
out.
> any other tips?
Making another folder on the server and moving 800 or so of the
messages there is a good idea IMHO.

> thank-you,
> Tom Isenbarger
>
> PS also, when the newton hangs at the "connecting to internet" or
> "connecting to my ISP" and i tap "cancel", the "disconnecting from ISP"
> come up. do i need to be connected to a network for the disconnect to
> be successful? or, can i stick my newton in my bag and let it resolve
> the disconnect while i am out walking about doing other things instead
> of waiting?

I think walking about is fine. Since this might require a soft reset
anyhow.

marty