Re: [NTLK] newbie questions

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 14:04:56 PDT

>when i first bought my OMP i think i remember that there was a program
>called magic cap i think that would make your whole screen like a desk
>and you would tap on the different items to select what you wanted to
>do, does anyone know if it still exists and if so where i can find it
>and if it will run on the MP130.

It is still around and as a matter of fact it is on UNNA. It is called
GM15.zip but I forget exactly where it is on UNNA, probably under backdrops.
But it only runs on a 1.3 or earlier machine. I tried to load it on a 2.0
and it wouldn't install.

>Also i noticed there are a few remote
>control programs around for the newton but they seem to be only for
>specific brands, is there a program around that could be used as a
>learning remote or can someone give me some pointers on how to go about
>making a program to control all of my infra red devices, i wouldn't
>have the slightest clue where to start but maybe slowly with some help
>i might be able to do it.

There are several, but none have a "learning" feature that I know of.
Basically you enter the codes that are given by the manufacture or keep
guessing till you find some that work. Also some apps only allow "modules"
of specific brands as you saw. I also remember one that gave information
on how to create other module packages, but I would think it would take some
time.

-Dan