Re: [NTLK] IC/VC and error -48418, Mail V

From: Thomas Isenbarger (isen_at_molbio.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 12:01:10 PDT

On 17 May 2004, at 14:25, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On May 17, 2004, at 9:01 AM, Thomas Isenbarger wrote:
>
>> I have not gotten any responses to my questions regarding connecting
>> from my Newton to my Laptop with AirPort (without a base station) for
>> installing packages, controlling with NewtVNC, accessing the Laptop
>> web
>> pages, etc. Maybe some of you have posted about this, but I need some
>> more detailed step-by-step intructions from someone who has been
>> successful. The laptop is a Powerbook G3 (Pismo) running OS X 10.3.3
>> and the Newton is an MP2100.
>
> ? I gave made a pretty long post about this before. Plus it is
> covered to some extent in the FAQ and the wiki (Hi DJ!).

In the FAQ, i see lots of entries in IIIB3 (Transferring data to and
from the Newton) for software to use for transferring things twixt the
Newton and computer, but no mention of how to configure for a direct
connection over wireless. In VB1e, I see references to things like
Appletalk Control Panel and Ethertalk, both of which are not part of
Mac OS X. It seems most of the information I have found is about how
to set a Newton up to join a wireless network (with a base station).

In the Wiki, the WiFi section says nothing about how to set up on the
Mac end of things, and again, I think it is assuming the use of a
wireless network, not a direct connection between the Newton and the
computer. http://www.newtenlightment.de/support.html fails to load
(timeout), so that site is no help right now (I think I was only
successful one time a week ago at getting the page to load). I will
search for your previous post and see if that addresses my questions.
I will also try your suggestion of enabling internet sharing over
airport. . .although, do i need an IP address for an Appletalk
connection?

Am I not looking in the correct place? Shouldn't I be able to connect
Newton to Laptop using Appletalk over wireless as if the two were
connected with an ethernet cable?

Thanks for the response!

Tom Isenbarger