Re: [NTLK] Newton-friendly web mail server/account?

From: japecan_at_comcast.net
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 15:45:30 PDT

Don't pay them another frickin penny...

A router will pose as the single address you are getting, and reshare
it via a different subnet.

For example:

Comcast IP 12.228.195.137
Yourlocalnet address: 10.100.10.1 through 10.10.100.255

This allows for 254 machines (in theory) to share the router (ie
10.100.10.1).

You can use a modern PC to serve this function also...

It is disguised as "internet sharing" under OSX 10.2 and higher. YOU
SHOULD HAVE A SEPARATE ETHERNET INTERFACE for your local subnet (in the
PC) or you will get in trouble with your ISP.

marty

Well I got in touch with comcast support and they were no help until they talked about DHCP. So I let them go and took a look at my winipcfg and it showd a new ip address and a dhcp address. I rechecked my internet setup and it showd that I was set up on dns since last november. So all of a sudden it gets changed? What is the difference between dns/dhcp to a person that knows nothing about it? Thanks for the support and does "YOU
SHOULD HAVE A SEPARATE ETHERNET INTERFACE for your local subnet (in the
PC) or you will get in trouble with your ISP." does that mean I need to get a router soon? I need to set up a meeting with you in Washington state the second week of June, sorry I didn't take advantage of it last time. Thanks for your input and support.

  Robert

--
Robert Maeda Serna
japecan_at_comcast.net