Re: [NTLK] Feasibility of getting away from NTK

From: Zachery Bir (zbir_at_urbanape.com)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 12:08:37 PDT

On May 11, 2004, at 1:04 PM, Paul Guyot wrote:

> (b) to replace NTK with something else capable of compiling
> NewtonScript code.
>
> (b) probably would be more fun. Plus the NewtonScript compiler's
> native code generation definitely could be improved. Even generated
> bytecode could be improved. Additionally, since this would requires a
> NewtonScript interpreter as well, we would have an open source
> NewtonScript toolchain that could be used in totally different
> contexts.
>
> How much free time do you have in your hands? :)

Well, I've conceptually grasped it in my head. There's a paper in there
somewhere relating Newton Intelligence to Zope (I work at Zope, so the
concept of an Object Filesystem, with *nearly* prototypical approach to
method/attribute acquisition makes total sense).

So, now I think I'm focused enough to explore and read up on this
stuff. Any pointers? Start more generally with respect to
compilers/interpreters, or get into Newton-y bowels with you?

Zac