Re: [NTLK] Something I dislike in the Newton

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 09:33:57 PDT

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 08:48:33PM -0300, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Helvécio_Mafra?= wrote:
> I use rechargeable batteries on my Newt, and they last for a week,
> approximately. I have, thus, to take the batteries out of my Newt
> every week to recharge them, and leave it (the Newt) without any
> power during one night.

Buy a set of regular disposable batteries. Insert them when charging the
recharable batteries. Since they're only being used to keep the clock
running and for the short period of date rollover at 3 am once per week,
they should last for many months.

> What really pisses me off is that when I put the batteries on, the
> date on my Newton goes back to sometime in 1996 (it used to be
> sometime in 1956, but I heve no idea why, it has changed - for the
> better). I have, then, to adjust the Newt's clock, and it takes me
> some 25 taps to bring it up to date.

No power at all means the clock fails. If that were a Palm device of an
appreciable age, you'd have lost all your data as well.

> Is there any alternative way to update the Newt's clock besides its
> internal clock app? Could one of the great developers in this list
> create a patch that bypass that little calendar thing used to update
> Newt's date (the way the hour is updated is great)?

In addition to the NewtSync program, there's also NetTime, a stand-alone
extension that sets the newt's clock to any specified RFC 868 time
server whenever you open a TCP/IP connection. It's got a setting that
prevents timesetting that's further than X number of minutes from when
the Newt thinks it is, but that setting may be disabled if set to zero.
I haven't tried it.

--
Nay, God Himself will not save men against their wills.  -Locke