Re: [NTLK] NTK Classic Vs. Windows

From: Laurent Daudelin (Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 10:56:23 PDT

On 21/05/04 12:38, "Richard Chamberlain" <newton_at_sunsetandlabrea.com> wrote:

> Hi Victor,
>
>>> Also am I better off trying to install classic and running the Mac NTK
>>> - I
>>> expect it will be
>>> faster, but does everything work with classic OK? Having said that I'm
>>> not
>>> sure whether my powerbook came with classic.
>>
>> It's sort of a six-of-one, half-dozen of the other situation. If you
>> decide
>> to go the Mac NTK and Classic route, you should make sure you read this
>> note
>> about Mac NTK and serial ports:
>>
>> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-development.html#VIIA1a
>>

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Ideally I think I'd like to run it under classic - because VirtualPC is
> really slow.
>
> I don't really follow the FAQ though. Also I can't boot under OS9 because
> my hardware won't let me.
>
> I have a keyspan serial adapter and so I was hoping that classic would
> just see this and work. NTK just doesn't start up though "Could not start
> the application because of some unknown error".
>
> So is there anything I can do?

That's because when NTK starts, it check for a serial port and won't find
any. You will need the extension "TCPSerial" which basically lets you use
Ethernet for serial communication. Of course, you won't need it as, once NTK
is opened, you can select "AppleTalk" to communicate with the Newton...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                 Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com                Washington, DC, USA