Re: [NTLK] Freezing packages

From: John A (macnut1_at_gawab.com)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 14:05:38 PDT

On May 23, 2004, at 3:33 AM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On May 23, 2004, at 12:39 AM, Robert Benschop wrote:
>
>> On 23-mei-04, at 05:08, John A wrote:
>>> Maybe I'm wrong, but I always understood that freezing the built-in
>>> apps didn't help anything because those apps were in ROM. Is that
>>> not
>>> correct? Actually, I didn't think you could freeze those apps anyway.
>>
>> I always presumed the same, but after the request I tried and I did
>> get
>> a freeze option for Notes, though freezing didn't seem to do anything.
>> AFAIK you're right and they're in ROM and can't be frozen but only
>> 99.99% sure... ;-)
>>
> I don't know either, but it still seems like you should be able to
> freeze rom based packages. They just wouldn't load or take heap at
> that point?
>
> Just my guess...
> marty

I always thought that apps that were in ROM didn't use any heap unless
they were actually in use. I guess I could be wrong about that. I
always thought that user installed packages used heap because they were
loaded into memory as soon as the Newt was started, but built-in apps
weren't activated (loaded) until they were actually in use. Maybe I
have it all wrong tho.

JR