Re: [NTLK] Freezing packages

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 21:32:09 PDT

Aux environs du 23/05/04 à 18:05 -0700, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
Freezing packages", Betty prit sa plus belle plume pour écrire les
mots suivants:
>I thought I read once that you can "delete" the built in
>applications. They're not really deleted but they will no longer
>load. To get them back, you would have to do one of those resets
>that puts everything back to factory settings.

You can remove their entries in the Packages soup. The consequence is
that their icon will no longer show up in the Extras drawer. Usually,
when this happens, it is purely unintentional. And when this happens,
the applications are still there and they still use 32 bytes of heap.

Please avoid using the word load with ROM built-in applications as
they never load (unlike packages).

Also, an application can actually have more than one icon and icons
can also not be linked with an application.
Two examples:
- Card icon is not an application (it's a script)
- Names and Owner Info icons both launch the same application (the card file).

Hence the so-called Packages soup maybe should have been called the
Icons soup since it includes built-in applications and scripts that
are not in packages. It even includes entries for soups themselves
(in the Storage file of Extras). Packages can own more than one
entries there (if I recall properly, they usually have two entries
except when they're frozen). The fact is that it also includes
packages. I think that this soup only exists on NewtonOS 2.x only.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/