[NTLK] Questions about SA-110 chip...

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 19:27:38 PDT

Been doing some reading on this topic and wanted to know if anyone has an
further info on this topic of the StrongARM SA-110 chip. or is this thread
dead?

I read a OLD thread that someone started asking about the different flavor
of this chip.
If you check the chip itself in your MP2x00 it reads SA-110-S I think.
Looking thru the Apple docs it states that the chip is speed selectable from
100Mhz to 160Mhz by the placement of a .... not sure if it was a resistor or
whatever.

Now searching the SA-110 shows that the other flavors of the chip - I think
a total of 5 or more - can be overclocked - this of course has been done
already.

Now,

1) can we replace the current chip with a faster variant?
2) is there much difference in the pin layouts?
- I read thru some of the material (being not a EE major) was not too sure
if the slightly different current would pose a problem and/or the difference
in not having a sleep mode (I understood this by one of the charts that the
100 and 160 MHz variants had a sleep or power down mode and the lower power
requirements.)
3) is it even possible to get a hold of these chips (the 200MHz, don't
recall if there was a faster variant or not, mayber 233Mhz) they were
overclocked to 278Mhz, however I did see that shot of a MP2x00 doing around
there but was stated it was not stable...

I'm a bit adventureous and would consider attempting a transplant of this
type if I could get my hands of a faster variant and with the sound advice
of someone who could fully understand the specs had the chip and appropriate
equipment as per David's post on suggested Equipment for this type of
work...

God bless,

Sonny Hung
the Hung Family