[NTLK] Newt's Cape and GPRS

From: Doug P (dougp_at_ispinn.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 09:00:20 PST

Robert,

Switching to landscape displayed the full error message. Good one! I needed to add an AT&T DNS to my Internet Setup.

Thanks to Eckhart and many others, I'm now surfing the web over GPRS on my 2100, through a PICO bluetooth card, to my Sony Ericsson T616.

Okay, with a show of hands now, who understands what I just said? ;-)

In layman's terms:

My 2100 sends and receives info via my PICO bluetooth card. The PICO card talks via bluetooth to my Sony Ericsson T616 phone (T610, T616, they're identical, FTMP). My T616 taps into AT&T's GPRS data network (not the voice network), stays connected, and allows me to surf the web using Newt's Cape**, any place I can find a signal. This has got to go on the Wiki somewhere...

GPRS used to confuse me. I think of it as a data channel--separate from my voice channel. Expensive? It can be, so watch it. Make sure you have the right plans in place for both voice time and data time.

This rates way, way up there, almost as good as poutine.

Doug Parker