Re: [NTLK] I'm looking for videophone hack

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 05:15:05 PDT

Hello Everyone:
I experimented some more with the "Videophone hack" program late tast night.

Experiment #1 - I had already succeeded in getting an MP 2X00 and an eMate to
connect via serial (I used a Mac print cable with the dongle for the MP 2X00
end). This worked just fine. Would it also work over the IrDA? I kept
having problems until I went into the "Beam Prefs" menu and checked the "Receive
Beams Automatically" box. Then, everything was just fine.

Experiment # 2 - I lined up an MP 2100, an MP 2000+, and an eMate, so that
their IrDA ports were more or less facing each other. It took some juggling,
but I got all three to show a white board view for a few moments, before each
crashed (no harm done -- just closed the app on each machine and started again).
 However, I don't think all three machines could actually "see" each other;
input on the MP 2100 showed up on the eMate, and vice-versa, but the other MP
seemed odd man out. It was worth a try. I wonder if one could use some kind of
optical device to give each device the same target -- perhaps a mirror? I'll
have to try this experiment in a house of mirrors some time...

As mentioned before, this seems like a program with great potential -- it
just needs some increased functionality (simultaneous collaborative use of
NotePad and Works, simultaneous game play, shared use of educational apps on the
eMate, etc).

Matt K.