Re: [NTLK] Newton Newbie-MP2000-Mac OS X/9-help!

From: Laurent Daudelin (Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 07:22:59 PDT

On 06/10/04 09:02, "meshbackthrash" <meshbackthrasher_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Ok I have a Newton MP 2000, with no connection cables
> at all, and I own 3 macs, an G4 iBook running 10.3.5,
> a G3 Powermac 5500 running 9.2.2 and a G3 Colour
> Classic running the same.
>
> The newton is running OS 2.1, i have no installer
> disks. There are no PCMCIA flash/cards (at present).
>
> How do I connect to either?
>
> My first choice would be through ethernet, but would
> it be cheaper to use a serial/localtalk cable? I have
> heaps of these, but I note that the connection on the
> Mp2000 would require some kind of adaptor, yes?
>
> I presume I would need to buy a PCMCIA ethernet
> card-does it have to be any particular type, and will
> it work straight out of the box?
>
> One of my main reasons for getting the newton was so
> that i could use wireless broadband hot spots-(I live
> on a boat, and have no landline access) the newtons
> size is ideal for being discreet, whereas my iBook is
> big, bulky and white! i understand that this is
> possible, how would I go about doing this-ie, what
> software do i need and what card would I require...?

You would probably get a lot of answers to your questions from the
NewtonTalk archive. Check the NewtonTalk main web page to get to the
archive.

I'd like to know what a "G3 Colour Classic" is. I know there was a Classic
and a Colour Classic, but both were using the older MC68000 Motorola
processor, before the first PowerPC.

Now, back at your connection problem, if you don't have the "dongle" (the
adapter that will let you use your LocalTalk connector with your 2000), then
you have another problem. You could maybe use IrDA if one of your older Mac
has an infrared port, but I'm not sure how reliable it is. Some people
reported that it was working fine but I've never tried it myself.

The goal here is to get the basic Ethernet drivers installed onto your 2000,
which will make it a lot easier for you to connect your 2000 to your Macs.
No matter which Ethernet card you use, you will need to install some kind of
driver, there is no way around it. For a better understanding of the
Ethernet options on the Newton, visit Newton Resources at
<http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/>. That should answer many of your
questions.

Remember one last thing: the 2000 isn't the Newton with the most memory
around. If you plan more than reading your emails, you'll find yourself in
trouble, specially if you attempt to surf the Internet. The available heap
on the 2000 when all the Ethernet software is loaded is not sufficient to
have a pleasant experience. You might get away with Courier (a text-only
web browser) but even with this one, I'm not sure how it would go on a 2000.
The 2100 has about 3 times the memory available to the 2000.

Just my $0.02. I'm sure others on this list will add their wisdom...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                 Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com                Washington, DC, USA