Re: [NTLK] Device candidate for einstein?..

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 09:16:21 PDT

Okay, James, I'll play the "Devil's Advocate" and disagree with your choices
for card slot accessories.
Here in the Detroit area, the ONLY public Wi-Fi spots are the airport (way
the Hell on the other side of town), a few of the posher hotels in upscale areas
(I DID just learn that the Sterling Heights Public Library in the northern
suburbs set one up recently. Wouldn't THAT make a nice place for a future
meeting in SE Michigan? I'll have to investigate further...)

CF cards are still cheaper than SD cards, although SD prices are coming down.
So the CF slot should probably be dedicated to storage. No REAL need for
Bluetooth on a PDA. Whatever you have on there is probably synced on your main PC
anyway. I guess it would be nice for conveniently printing docs, but again,
you have the desktop for that.

What's my point? I'd recommend using the CF slot for a microdrive (You could
carry a ton of .MPEGs and .MP3s), and I'd save the SD slot for the
Bluetooth/Wi-Fi, if necessary.
Of course, I'd carry mostly games, songs, and video clips. []|:O)

I would LIKE to be on the Wi-Fi wagon, and I'll probably go that way
eventually, but I don't need it now, nor can I afford it at the moment (Buried
somewhere in my desktop are some cool articles and specs for building a "Yagi"
shotgun antenna to boost Wi-Fi transmission/reception. Hint: think tin cans).

It seems to me that since Wi-Fi cards work with the Newton, that it should be
conceivable (theoretically, at least) to modify some kind of card and feed an
FM radio signal into the Newton. It would require some kind of digital tuner
software to do something with the signal, but why not? Can you imagine,
listening to your favorite radio stations on the Newton? I don't think it's that
farfetched. Wouldn't it be cool if Newton beat every PDA on the market to the
punch on this? :O) I waaaaaaaaaant one of these!!!

Matt K.