[NTLK] Radio on Newton

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 20:30:07 PDT

> We'd be better off hacking a cheap tiny fm radio onto the audio in line
> of a dongle - think about it, NIC plug with this little plastic bobble
> on the end, draws power from the NIC port, tiny tuning dial on the
> outside (or hacked to be controlled via the serial lines on the NIC
> port) hmmm this is sounding pretty good actually...

   What about PCMCIA? I think I heard something on the list about
PCMCIA radio cards. Pin 62 of the PC Card spec is some kind of speaker
line (http://www.pcmcia.org/pccardstandard.htm#2), which runs "binary
audio data" (whatever that is - sample rate?). I wonder if you could
wire a radio directly to that, and still use the slot for something
else?

Jim