Re: [NTLK] Serial Communication Speed Boosters

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 19:32:07 PDT

On 10/8/04 3:58 AM, Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net> wrote:
> The patch isn't for NCU, it's just for its registry settings (because NCU
> doesn't allow you to set the speed to 57600 via the Preferences window).

Understood, but the fact remains that there "technically could be" a patch
created to address the problem of NCU not allowing speeds greater that
57600.

Please note that I have read this thread:

<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=101477603500001>

Sadly, no solution came out of that discussion. My query was put forth to
the Newton community to see of there is someone out there who either has or
could put together such a patch. If it is possible to realize 115k or
higher speeds on the Mac via serial with NCU, then that would benefit the
community as a whole. Yes, I realize that wireless and Ethernet solutions
are available and even trendy, but that doesn't mean serial interfaces
couldn't be improved, right?

But reading through that thread brought upon another concern:

<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=101482643016634&w=2

Is the Keyspan Twin Serial really limited to 28.8 when used on a Mac in
conjunction with NCU? I know full well the adapter has a 1Mbps throughput.
But have any of your Twin Serial using Mac owners got it to run at 57600?

Regards,

James Wages