Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple G4 500 MHz 15'' Titanium PowerBook - fair price

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 09:03:27 PDT

>From: Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple G4 500 MHz 15'' Titanium PowerBook - fair
>price
>Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:06:21 -0700
>

>On Oct 7, 2004, at 6:18 AM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:
><snip>
> > BT: I'll follow Eckart's recommendation and get myself a Sphinx Pico BT
> > PC-Card for my Dr. Gruendelstein 2g00. But what should I use for BT on
> > the
> > Powerbook? A D-Link USB-stick has been recommended, but I dislike the
> > thought of having stuff sticking out on the back. Has anybody ever
> > tested the Pico cards in a Powerbook?
>Hmmm,
>
>No, but I agree that the USB thumb that I have is a but of a pain...

And I don't want to share in that unpleasant experience. Sorry, Marty! ;=}

>Two thoughts.
>
>1) I think that your PB has IR? If so you might be able to use Nitro?

Negative, Houston. G4 Titanium no IR, AFAIK. Don't have it here yet,
though. Wouldn't work to great with VNCing the PB from the Newt, anyway
(for BT-remoting DVD-/MP3-playback off the PB and other serious stuff).

>2) There are several hacks that involve soldering a USB based
>Bluetooth thumb into the Tibook. Look over at XLR8yourmac.com and
>www.macbidouille.com.

The Mac Bredouille is here:
http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2004-09-13#2839. Neat hack, BUT:
I'm pretty sure I won't do that: (a) I don't have the Apple BT module he
worked with, (b) I'm not too hot with dem soldering irons, and (c) I really
can't risk to lose that PB. If anybody donates a spare mainboard, I'll
shore enuff try it, Pa! ;=]

Didn't find anything at the other site. Pls. advise.

>The Macbidouille hac is especially cool since they used the BT module
>that Apple had provided as "built in" in the ibook and hooked it the
>port that used to support IR (they did it in a newer PB that excluded
>the IR).

If I had the iBook that the module came with, I'd most likely just use that
instead if lobotomizing that machine in order to burn and melt through a
perfectly decent second...

>If you do find a PCMCIA solution that is nice please share!

Didn't yet. Maybe Mr. BT himself has some ideas - Eckart, check yer
mailbox! ;=}

Thanks all around. This is a somewhat Newton related investigation in progress.

DJV.