[NTLK] Can a PPC work with a Newton's touch screen?

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 06:48:37 PDT

Hello Everybody:
I have a question for the more learned electronics whiz kids out there:

Is it theoretically possible that, voltage differences aside, a Pocket PC
could function through a Newton's touch screen? That's what I would like to know.

Recently, I took a look under the hood of my broken-screened Toshiba e310 ( I
also have a working e335 that I still use for AvantGo and .MP3 music files).
Aside from the broken screen (which I understand is a bit pricey to replace),
the device works fine. The Toshiba PDA looks to have two separate ribbon
connectors, which both may or may not attach to the digitizer screen. One ribbon
cable has four distinct leads, while the other seems to be a 45-lead cable, or
thereabouts.

Here are a few more questions:
How many leads in the Newton MP 2X00's ribbon cables? If somehow I were able
to connect/splice/Krazy Glue the two systems digitizer leads together, had
separate power supply considerations (the e310 runs on roughly 5 volts, while
Newton takes 7.5), switches, etc, could the PDA's output and input be workable
through the Newton's digitizer pad/screen?

I know that I would still have two separate systems, and exchanging data
would probably still require a separate desktop system, but the idea of having two
systems, each with their inherent advantages, mounted within one shell,
intrigues me. I need to build a laboratory in my basement workshop...

Matt K.