Re: [NTLK] New Newtendo Site - Use This one-

From: Scot McSweeney-Roberts (newton_at_mcsweeney-roberts.co.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 12 2004 - 11:17:58 PDT

Martin Joseph wrote:
>On Oct 12, 2004, at 10:26 AM, Scot McSweeney-Roberts wrote:
>

>> I'd rather play my
>>own copy of Galaga than download it from some site somewhere and then
>>having to worry about some copyright protection association knocking on
>>my door.
>>

>Not to start a legal thread AGAIN, but as long as you have the
>cartridge, I think your ass is covered.

Except there's still the time, trouble and expense of a potential
lawsuit. One of the problems with these copyright enforcement people is
that they seem to have little regard for the consumers fair use rights,
and they can often get away with acts of injustice because people don't
have either the resources or the will to fight them in court. Which is
why I'd rather make my own rom images than download them - it just feels
safer.

Seeing as there are sites where people can download rom images, it must
be possible to make one's own - but I've trawled through google and I've
come up empty. You would think there'd be greater secrecy about the
sites that distribute the rom images than the technology used to create
the images in the first place.You'd even think that there'd be a market
for cartridge readers that sit in a spare drive bay or hang off a USB port.

Scot