[NTLK] First post - display upgrade?

From: Bill Holt (billholt_at_iglou.com)
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 15:43:06 PDT

Long time Newton owner, first post. Bought a 110 when they were new;
retired it because it just didn't work well enough, but returned after
buying a couple of 2100s, having heard that the handwriting recognition is
much better. And it certainly is ... show off good. It's a useful machine,
worth going through some trouble to blend it into my system.

Reporting: I just received one of the serial cards that's been discussed on
this list from David Humphries. Relatively painless installation, although
it did take me a while to figure out where the little clip along-side the
stylus holder was supposed to go after it fell out. My fault, but you
should pay special note if you do the installation. The card works like a
champ ... it's sorta cool to be able to type into a Newt about as fast as
you can into a PowerBook.

But now, my attention is on the display. My eyes just aren't as good as
they used to be, and in less than optimum light I need something easier to
read. Although the backlighting works, it's really not good enough. So the
question: Have any of you personally installed one of the replacement
backlight panels? I'm considering it, but since there don't seem to be any
good photos that demonstrate that it's a lot better, I'm hesitant. Is it a
lot better?

TIA

  Bill Holt