[NTLK] More Newton software to be released!

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 05:36:40 PDT

Hello Everybody,

I’ve been in discussions with an Australian software programmer and former
Newton application developer, and I have exciting news. I sent a request to the
programmer, and he has given me permission to publicly distribute his Newton
software applications, as well as the source code for several “works in
progress”! Moreover, he mentioned to me that he still owns several Newtons and
eMates, and he is considering dusting off his NewtonScript programming skills, IF
he gets some spare time.

Some of this gentleman’s work has been previously released as shareware, but
many of his titles are previously unreleased. His development contributions
include: several eBooks, including a childrens’ activity book, an electronics
technicians’ reference guide, an illustrated pin-out guide for some Mac models
(no page on Newtons, yet); several Mathematics drill programs for elementary
and middle school students; some advanced Mathematics calculation tools
(matrices, etc), and a text-based adventure game similar to “Zork”. He also has
developed a few business-related apps (time mgt. and billing forms for
developers), and his “works in progress” include several nearly finished terminal
applications.

Think of it – - more Newton programs just waiting to get their final rough
edges smoothed out, and the entire Community will benefit! This contribution is
pretty huge, IMO. It’s all ours, baby, as long as nobody tries to profit from
it. I’ve been studying his apps a bit, especially the terminal emulators. I
can’t get everything to work just yet, but that’s more of a fault on my end,
I suppose.

We’d still have to work out some details with regard to the public
distribution of the software code. I figure it could easily be hosted somewhere
(Perhaps on www.unna.org), but I think we should first consider how to allocate
unfinished projects to specific programmers, rather than let anyone go willy-nilly
with the code. I’m not a software developer, but business sense tells me it
might be prudent to retain some degree of control over the software code…

I STILL have not heard back from Victor (Hint!) about some matters related to
this, which is one of the reasons I have not posted the software yet to UNNA
(also, I’ve been trying to test and gain a better understanding as well as
write/edit the “Read Me" files). I expect to post the software soon, however.

Sincerely,

Matthew Kowalczyk
Communications Liaison (Yes, I mention my Newton work in job interviews!)
Newton Worldwide Community

PS If anybody has an EXTRA slot available for a Newton cap for this
programmer fellow, send it my way and I’ll get it to him.