Re: [NTLK] [OT] NYT carrier OQO review by David Pogue

From: poopoo (se6ciocco_at_libero.it)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 11:33:45 PDT

I agree is not a cool thing that the OQO hardware is not upgradable,
the=
n i agree 256MB of ram could be good for doing a lot of things....but on =
Mac OS!
We paid $1000,00 for the Newton OS and Handwriting recognition i=
 think first of all...

I will not pay $1500,00 just to have a portable=
 version of WinXP...
i could use an external drive for have it in my pan=
ts

> Again, why is it underequipped? Processor too slow? 256MB RAM =
not
> enough?
> Well, I still believe that 1 GHz and 256MB is fast eno=
ugh and
> sufficient for any average user. You can do
> - photoediting=
. An average picture on my digital fotocamera is about 2
> - 3 MB so wh=
y would I need 512MB or even more to edit a picture? Ah,
> Photoshop. B=
ut then again, that is a program ment for pro's. The
> average user can=
 use another program with less resourceneeds.
> - Even movieediting is p=
ossible. It will take more time to render a
> film, but then again most=
 of the time you are busy thinking of HOW to
> edit the movie. The fina=
l rendering can be done overnight.
> - Surfing the net will not be faste=
r with a faster machine
> - Getting and answering mail will not be done =
faster
> - Any office will just run fine, no need for a faster machine=0D
=
> - 256 MB is plenty for the OS and a few open applications. I do not =0D
=
> know how many apps you have open at the same time, but I have like 3 or=

> 4 apps open on my computer, not more.
> - If you are diehard gamer =
this machine is not for you, but then again,
> a diehard gamer is not t=
he public this machine is ment for.
> As I can see right now the OQO has=
 two minor hick-ups and one bigger
0
> - They could have put a bigger harddisk in (but then again: this is =
> businesscomputer, 20GB is sufficient)
> - Battery lasts 2,5h. Then=
 again: it would be used like the newton,
> sometimes on, mostly off. I=
f you would use a Newton with backlight
> constantly and enabled Wifi t=
he batterytime then would also not last
> that long. So 2,5h batterytim=
e is enough for the intended use. And you
> can carry extra batterypack=
s around, increasing batterytime as long as
> the users wishes.
>
> =
So, I think this is a cool machine. Only drawback is the price. But our =0D
=
______________=0ALibero ADSL: navighi gratis a 1.2 Mega, senza canone e c=
osti di attivazione. =0AAbbonati subito su http://www.libero.it =0A