Re: [NTLK] Chicken or Egg?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 10:50:58 PDT

On Oct 19, 2004, at 9:51 AM, Huxley Dunsany wrote:

> Hi folks!
> I recently bought a Newton 2100 on eBay (item number 5130705040, if
> you'd
> like a look), and I also bought a couple of wireless cards (item number
> 5724545500). Now, neither of these items has arrived yet, but I'm
> wondering
> about something. When they do get here, how should I go about getting
> the
> wireless drivers onto the Newton, without a serial dongle? I've got a
> 4-meg
> flash card from my dearly departed Newton 120, and I'm writing this on
> my
> Powerbook G4... Which has a PCMCIA slot.... So I guess my question
> is, can
> I use the Newton flash card in my PowerBook, put the drivers on the
> card,
> put the card in the Newton, and rock and roll wirelessly from there?
> Or, is
> there any way to send the drivers from my PowerBook to the Newton via
> IrDA?
> Or am I just going to have to break down and get a serial dongle?

There is a way to do this, using classic(NCU) and a direct modem to
modem connection, of course you need a modem for you Newton to do this,
  but they are readily available, I like any of the USR/Megahertz
28.8/33.6 PCMCIA cards.

Someone on the list recently proved this works for circumventing the
whole Dongle/keyspan thing...

Hopefully they will chime in here?
Marty