[NTLK] Cory Doctorow on ebook formats

From: RossO (newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 09:54:55 PDT

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/viewarticle.php?id=110

"What Tor and I have found now is that we get advanced notice of
everything happening in eBook publishing. When people do research, or
write new software, or see the interaction of 14 years olds with
eBooks, they can use dummy text (lorem ipsum) which is great for
testing but not reading. They can look at a Project Gutenberg text -
but all that happens then is they get a 14 year olds reaction to
Chaucer. Or they can grab a modern text, designed to be put into new
formats and eBook readers. I posted the text as .txt, MS-Word and HTML,
under the Creative Commons licence. When someone converts to another
format, they post it back on my site. You want a list of every eBook
format out there? It's on my site. Students the world over email me and
say they used that as the almost definitive list. There's even an Apple
Newton version!"

...Ross...

--
Newton Owner since 1999: MP2000, Wi-Fi, OS X syncing, Avi's Backdrop,
MMC/SD-based storage via ATAdapter, occasional Web server.