Re: [NTLK] PDF/CHM reader, Bluetooth and other questions

From: Andy Galluzzi (agalluzzi_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 09:30:07 PDT

I think is a great idea. The problem with PDF may be that they ofen have
a lot of pictures, that makes it difficult to transport in the Newton.
In any case, there are a few ideas on how to translate a PDF in a
NewtonBook. The CHM in the other hand is more like a NewtonBook with an
Index, and may be one of the more formats that best fits in a Newton
Book needs, but I think it possible with a conversion where images get
lost. Also, don't forget that CHM are HTML pages with Images and
eventually JavaScript or somenthing else. If you see it uncompressed,
it's a huge file. Not sure how will fit in Newton memory. In any case, I
see it powerfull and think it would be a great tool to make avaible. I
was thinking in making some tool that could make advanced Newton books
more easily. I realize that most of the Apple software can be done
better, because in the time it was done, there wasn't powerfull
computers like today, with the graphics we can handle now.

Just thinking laud.
Andy.