Re: [NTLK] Unstable 2100 - Please Help

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 11:02:18 PDT

Aux environs du 26/10/04 à 2:56 +0900, sous le titre "[NTLK] Unstable
2100 - Please Help", James Wages prit sa plus belle plume pour écrire
les mots suivants:
>I have a Newton 2100 that I purchased off EBAY a couple months ago. After
>about five times of turning the Newton on and off (sleep/wake) with the
>slide switch, the Newton will suddenly restart and then tell me a System
>Error caused the restart. Sometimes the Newton will just freeze (I can
>draw all over the screen, but nothing launches or closes). And on rare
>occasions it will freeze so bad that even the reset button on the back
>does nothing (I have to remove the battery pack and then re-insert to get
>around this problem).
>
>I have most of my packages stored on a 32MB CF card, working in
>conjunction with Paul's ATA Support driver, but I don't know if that has
>anything to do with my system instability problem. The major packages I
>use are Dashboard, Guesture Launch for DashBoard, and Notion.
>
>Your feedback would be appreciated.

Please post the list of packages installed on your Newton. You can
generate such list with Trashpak.

Instability could come from data corruption on the 32 MB card, so you
may want to try without the card (however, it's probably difficult to
do a complete test if you don't have a 32 MB linear card).

The card could also be defective or poorly handled by ATA Support. I
suggest trying ATA Support built-in tests. The read test is not
destructive and can be run without losing your data.

Paul

--
Ministre plénipotentiaire en disponibilité.
Baignoire à vendre.