[NTLK] SONUG - Aftermath

From: Ao Loo (ao_at_total.net)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 18:27:00 PDT

The Southern Ontario Newton Users Group (SONUG) made their way to
my house in Toronto yesterday, and emates were front centre for the
afternoon and when the dust settled:

Chris made his way from London (Ont) with his emate parts in a shoebox.
Michael's emate had died an untimely death at the first SONUG meeting
with a puntured ribbon cable. My spare motherboard with ribbon cable
managed to serve both patients. With Mimi's expert eye/tools/parts and
Anneli's (emate repair person in training) enthusiasm we saved 2 emates
from the junk pile. Chris had bought his emate for his son who never
got to use it because a puff of smoke rose from it the first time they
plugged it in. Michael was forced to purchase a second emate for his
daughter when the first one died. Chris quipped that it was great to
move from "an emate owner to an emate user". Michael was also glad to
end up with a working spare, rather than a "parts" machine. He
salvaged a better hinge spring from the spare motherboard assembly and
we installed that into his restored emate, along with the washer
retrofit. I had never ventured into the display area of the emate and
felt relieved to have Mimi's expertise in removing the LCD, which is
required when replacing the ribbon cable. Anneli was quick to point out
when Dad (me) was not doing it right.

This flurry of activity overshadowed some exciting news from Jeffrey and
Andrew who showed up with two Newton 2100's that had internal headphone
and microphone connectors installed just below the interconnect socket.
The two Newtons served as prototypes and other small adjustments were
made during the meeting with both of their 2100s being disassembled and
assembled. Michael had brought along a battery booster as a door prize
and it was awarded to Jeffrey and Andrew for their sound i/o modification.

Thanks to all for attending.

Ao Loo
SONUG Toronto