Re: [NTLK] PDF/CHM reader, Bluetooth and other questions

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 20:42:29 PDT

Alexey Agapov wrote:
> Hm.. I believed Bookmaker compresses text data. I agree that this=20
> doesn't make a lot of sense to convert PDF/CHM to NewtonBook otherwise.=20=
>
> =46rom the other hand, since NewtonBooks are merely NewtonScript=20
> programs, maybe we could create a book decompressing its text on the=20
> fly? I'm not a NewtonScript programmer and I'll look into this in more=20=

Well yes and no. Bookmaker itself does not compress the data. It
creates a script file that when processed through Newton Tool Kit, you
can have it compressed or not, depending on the settings when you create
the package. Newton Press on the other hand always creates compressed
packages. Actually to be more specific, they don't compress anything
until you install them. What happens is a "compression" flag is set.
And when the package is installed it is compressed at that time. You
can change this setting with already made package via "Package Flags"
that Victor wrote. It is on Chuma and as well UNNA I believe.

While NewtonBooks are NewtonScript, it is very sparse (just pagination
and bookmarks/hyperlinks by default). I would call it more of a data
file than a program. The built in Newton Book Reader (aka Coperfeild
which is in ROM) takes that package and reads it like a word processor
reads a text file.

But what you suggest might be possible, just difficult to do and hence
one reason why it has not been done yet. However I think that it would
be too much of a slow down on anything other than a MP2100 and even then
questionable. I would rather have something converted in a simpler form
that can be quickly rendered on the screen (unless of course it was a
image and impossible to be converted)

-Dan