Re: [NTLK] 3Com drivers? - resolved

From: Bill Holt (billholt_at_iglou.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 20:12:54 PDT

It's been said that the random pushing of buttons is not the best approach,
but sometimes you have to stick with what you know.

As a reminder, what I've been attempting to do is get a simple terminal
emulator program working so that I could access the internet through my
shell account. There was no good result because the program failed to dial
the phone. I didn't know where the problem was. Since I had twin setups, I
could interchange cards and 2100s, so a hardware problem seemed very
unlikely.

During the process, I learned that I'd loaded the wrong driver for my 3Com
modem card and corrected that error, but that seemed to have no good result.
Eventually, I tried using the "phone" utility which I think is part of the
standard installation. It dialed the phone! That was my first successful
connection.

The terminal emulator program I was attempting to use - TermLimit - has all
of the features I wanted and a pretty clean interface. I tweaked through
all of the combinations with no success. Eventually, I went searching for a
new copy, suspecting some corruption in the one I'd installed. During that
process, I stumbled across another terminal emulation program called
"PT100", which I put away as a backup.

The next series of attempts with the fresh installation of TermLimit were
just as unsuccessful. Eventually, I installed and tried out PT100, which is
not at all pretty, but which worked on the first attempt.

Apparently, TermLimit just doesn't like system 2.*.

Thanks all, for your assistance.

After a day or two of recovering from this effort, perhaps I'll try a
regular browser. I've read that there are several available, each with its
limitations. I wonder if there's a general consensus about which is best
for browsing ordinary html sites?

   Bill Holt