Re: [NTLK] LunaSuite experience?

From: David Neale (david.neale_at_pandora.be)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 03:32:46 PST

Yesterday I decided to take the plunge and try LunaSuite.

The registration and installation is quite a complicated affair by
Newton standards, but is in no way difficult. It also transpires that
LunaSuite is free, which is an added bonus and perhaps an incentive for
other who might wish to try it.

I have used the thing for both web browsing and email. Web browsing is
excellent and perhaps the very best browsing experience on the Newton
that I've had. Images are displayed, HTML interpretation is very good
and I had fewer stability problems than with Courier, for example (I
used NewtsCape some months ago, but can't remember what it was like).
Generally a far more pleasant experience than either Courier or
NetHopper, certainly. Housekeeping activities occasionally get in the
way, but this might be because there are too many applications on my
MP2100. A nice interface and the possibilty of using the full screen ad
to the experience.

There are stability issues: on two occasions my MP2100 simply shut
down, but in a couple of hours of use, there were fewer problems than
with the other browsers.

Email is fairly standard, but, if a text message is mailed straight
from, say, Notes, then it is received as an unreadable Mime format by
Apple's own Mail application. The secret is to read the text first in
LunaSuite format (a simple tap on the Newton) and send it from there.

So far, very pleased.

David